注册 (请写明注册原因,12小时内通过审核)
查看: 3797|回复: 4
打印 上一主题 下一主题

一位成人阿斯伯格对同类父母们的忠告(英文)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2003-11-22 06:48:39 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
PS - The abreviation "NT" means neurotypical -- Aspie lingo for non-autistic types)

======

An Aspie's Advice to Parents of Aspie Kids

Note:  This article was written when this web site was entitled "Aspie Advocacy."  When I realized that I am more properly HFA (high-functioning autistic) than  aspie, despite my many similarities to aspies, I decided that a bifurcated view of AS and autism did not make sense.  Thus, I changed the name of the site, as well as the editorial "slant," to reflect the unified nature of the spectrum as a whole.  That is why I recently changed the title in the link to this article.  However, for the moment, I am leaving the article as it was written originally.  Keep in mind that when I say "aspie" in this article, I refer to all people on the higher-functioning end of the spectrum, regardless of which diagnosis they may have.

Before I begin, let me give you a little bit of background so you know exactly what my "qualifications" are (and are not).  My name is Frank, and I am a thirty-year old aspie male.  I do not have kids, and at this time I do not plan to have any.  Despite my non-parent status, though, I think I have some insight to offer to parents of AS children.  In the year or so that I have known of AS, I have learned quite a bit on that topic, and I have had the privilege of communicating with many other aspies online.  Some of them are living relatively normal lives, with a spouse and kids, and some are living on SSI or other forms of welfare, unable (or convinced thy are unable) to work.  I fall somewhere in the middle... I am employed, but as someone that probably would qualify for Mensa, I am very much underemployed.  The job I do is a relatively low-stress, low-responsibility job that I can do half-asleep, and that is the reason I am able to deal with the strain.

Like most (if not nearly all) aspies my age, I was never diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum as a child.  Until very recently, everyone thought that autistics were uncommunicative, mentally retarded lost souls that just sat and rocked all day.  That's the stereotype for low-functioning autistics, which are the most common  of the classic Kanner-type autistics.  Certainly no one would diagnose a bright, talkative child as being autistic... and the more specific diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome did not gain notoriety in the western world until around 1990.  AS was not included in the DSM (psychiatrist's diagnostic manual) until 1994.  Thus, aspies like me grew up with no special consideration at all, and with no AS-related treatment or counseling.

I always knew I was different, since about the third grade.  Starting in the seventh grade, I began to be the target for more adolescent abuse than most people would ever care to imagine.  I never knew why I was always singled-out as a target... I really tried to be nice to everyone, and it just did not work.  That ostracism tore apart my self-esteem, and by the time I graduated from high school, I had adopted the idea that I was a worthless piece of refuse.  Those years are such a bad time to have this sort of thing happen... it is right at that time when kids are trying to fit in and find their place in the group.  Well, it is not surprising that I suffered through the better part of a decade in a deep depression.  Although I still struggle with issues of self-confidence and motivation (I still have no ambition at all), the depression is finally under control (at least as far as the dysphoria is concerned) due to the wonders of modern pharmaceuticals.  It is this experience that has allowed me to see something that is really quite obvious, but somehow rarely mentioned: Depression is THE primary disability for aspies.

There are a lot of aspies that say they cannot work, and I don't doubt that to be true.  Every single one of them I have spoken to (well, typed to) has also been very depressed.  Depression is a very real, very powerful disability that can and does make it impossible for so-affected individuals to function in any meaningful manner.  It's too easy to blame the AS itself and to overlook the role of the depression in making daily life impossible.  The AS causes ostracism, which causes a loss of self-esteem, which causes depression, which causes disability.  Cut off the depression and the disability goes away too.  It's hard, but it has to be done.  And if my own experience is any indication, the recovering depressive will find that he is more resistant to the kind of abuse that caused the depression in the first place.  You really do come out of it stronger.  Even so, it is an uphill struggle, and the after-effects can last a long time... maybe a lifetime.  It's a much better idea to prevent it in the first place.

Now I am not going to try to tell anyone that it will be easy for a non-depressed aspie in the work world.  It won't be.  Every office has the whole office-politics thing, and aspies by nature do not play that game.  We always end up being the losers in social-positioning games.  Further, we don't relate to others the way that we are expected.  There's such a big emphasis on the "team player" stuff, and we can never measure up to NTs in that regard.  I will admit that it is harder for us, and that there are less options.  We will, by and large, be at low levels for the duration of employment at any given site.  This is NOT because we are disabled, impaired, or in any way incapable.  It's because it is an NT world, and they make the rules to suit themselves, and almost no one is going to give us a break because we are different.  On the other hand, we are natural innovators, and we make great entrepreneurs.  We have to be realistic in our expectations of what we will and will not be able to do.

Now, let me dig into the causes of depression for aspies.  Well, obviously, anything that causes a normal kid to become depressed can do the same to an aspie kid.  That does not explain, though, the near 100% incidence of depression in aspies.  In a nutshell, aspies are depressed because they believe that they are defective people... unwanted misfits that people wish would go away.  This certainly was the case for me!  There are only so many times you can be told that you are worthless garbage before you begin to believe it.  After all, could all of those people be wrong?  (Answer: YES!)

From what I understand, my own experience is absolutely typical of aspie boys in regular schools.  It starts in the seventh grade, because that is the first year that the structure and control of the "one teacher all day" class environment is dumped in favor of the "change classes every 45 minutes" pattern of middle/jr. high and high school.  There are literally hundreds of opportunities for mean kids to attack their classmates in a single school day, and they get away with it 99% of the time.  I wish I could suggest an easy way to end the abuse, but I don't know that there is one.  The school officials will NOT want to help you... oh, sure, they'll give lip service... "We don't tolerate abuse at all..." but when the rubber hits the road, it is all talk.  Encouraging your unpopular child to report abuse to school authorities is a bad idea, because the bullies just hate the "rat" that much more, and the abuse gets worse.  Trust me; I've been there.

The only thing I can offer is to teach the kid to defend himself, and to ignore the rules against self-defense.  In my school, the bully and the victim were both punished equally if the victim tried to defend himself.  I knew this, and I followed the rules.  I just stood there and took my beatings as the school officials pretended they did not notice ("Boys will be boys," they say... "They have to learn to settle their own differences."  That's what they are thinking as they stand there and let bullies ruin your aspie kid's life.)  I am truly sorry that I have nothing better to offer than that, but a mainstream school is just going to remain a hostile environment for autistic kids of any flavor.  It's worse if your child is small or uncoordinated, which make effective self-defense harder, if not impossible.  Home-schooling is a good idea, if you're up to the challenge.

Bullies are not the only source of depression for aspies.  Unfortunately, the other is much more insidious, and the damage may be more pervasive.  It's the psychiatrist that you think is helping your kid!  Most of the psychiatric industry operates from an assumption that normal is good and everything else is bad, and that everything else should be eliminated.  They use words like "dysfunction" and "impairment" to talk about your child's aspie traits.  Rarely do they focus on the good points... and there are a lot of reasons to be happy you have AS.  You would never know that from the way that most shrinks talk, though.  I am not saying that all of them are bad, but you have to be aware that the likelihood is high that the doctor can make things worse as he tries to help.

AS and other forms of autism cannot be cured, and even if they could, the person being "fixed" would be gone.  There is no normal person inside the aspie, waiting to be set free.  The aspie characteristics go all the way to the core.  It can't be stripped away.  What good does it do to have a doctor make your child hate his autistic condition when there is nothing that can be done about it?  This certainly is not the intent of the medical community, but it happens anyway, and with alarming frequency.  When a person hates the fact that he is autistic, he hates what he is and who he is.  That's not a recipe for a good life!  There is so much that is good about AS, but so many people just refuse to see that. If your child's therapist or psychiatrist is one of them, find another.

There are some treatments designed to help aspie kids fit in, and I do not hold a high opinion of them.  They basically teach the kids to suppress their natural selves, and to act like the NT that everyone wishes that they were.  I've talked to a number of aspies that live behind such a facade, and they tell me that it is very stressful and demeaning.  Nothing like having to hide who you really are all day, every day, right?  Anyone want to guess whether these kids start to think that their natural autistic state is bad and shameful?  These are not going to be happy kids.  They'll be self-conscious, living behind a lie, afraid to show who they really are.  It's a bad deal.

Now do not get me wrong... I am not against teaching aspies and auties some simple "tools" to deal with living in an NT world, but it MUST be made clear that these are just tools to deal with having to live in a hostile world in which aspies are seriously outnumbered, and NEVER should the child be allowed to get the idea that being himself is bad, shameful, or unacceptable.  We (aspies) are different, NOT bad, NOT inferior, NOT broken.  That message has to be repeated... make sure it gets through.  Treat AS as a gift, not a disability.  If you don't know what the good points of AS are, please have a look at some of my other articles.  If your child is seeing a psychiatrist, be sure that the doctor only intends to help the child deal with living in a world that is not his own, and not to try to "fix" the child in any way.  Being a "fish out of water" is hard enough!  Please humor me even if you yourself wish your child could be "fixed" and made normal... it is not going to happen, and if you try, you will make things worse.  People can and do live happily with AS, but no one lives happily with a sense of self-loathing.

That brings me to some suggestions as to what you should, and should not, do.  Don't try to suppress your child's autistic behavior... things like like pacing, flapping hands, rocking, obsessing on one thing, et cetera.  In a calm, rational, logical manner, you can explain why the child should curb such behaviors when in public places, but don't punish the child if he slips and does something embarrassing.  He really is not trying to embarrass you!  He is far too wrapped up in his own needs to even consider that you have feelings too.  Do allow your child to have "alone" time each day, if he so desires, and do allow him to stim when he needs to.  These are natural, real needs for autistic people, and stifling them will make your child seek more extreme ways to release stress.

Aspie kids, by the way, respond best if you tell them exactly why they must, or must not, do certain things.  Be specific with your reasons, and make them as concrete as possible.  The perennial favorite "Why? Because I said so" is not likely to work.  That may work on NT kids (although not always that well) that understand social hierarchies, but aspie kids are more logical, and do not respond as well to pure domination.  Yelling is even less likely to work... it is likely to put the kid in overload, or even cause a meltdown.  Calm and rational is the order of the day.  Very often, you will find that your child's "rebellious" or "bad" behavior is not motivated by any sort of malice at all!  It might just be the autistic child's natural way.  Remember, your ways are just as bizarre and unusual to him as his are to you... but he does not have the benefit of your years of life experience.

In short, and I repeat this point to emphasize its importance, you really need to be careful that the aspie kid is never given the impression that there is anything wrong with having AS.  Not from his peers, not from his doctors, not from you or other relatives.  Jealously guard the notion that AS is a good thing, and that most people just do not understand.  If the child can grow up with self-image intact, he will be much better able to deal with the stresses of real life.  Yes, it is true, the kid does need to learn how to deal with the world at some point, but that time is not until the mid-20s at the earliest, IMO, for an aspie.  No 18-year old is really mature enough to deal with life, but an aspie does not usually reach a similar level of maturity until about 25.

I cannot overstress how easy it is for an aspie kid to lose self-esteem and get depressed.   It is much easier for aspies to get depressed than NTs, and look how many depressed NT kids there are.  That depression is the cause of most of the inability to deal with life that so many aspies display.  And it sure makes more sense to prevent the depression than to try to cure it later!  It's a very real concern, and it is almost universal among aspies.

2#
发表于 2003-11-23 21:31:23 | 只看该作者

Re:一位成人阿斯伯格对同类父母们的忠告(英文)

有谁能翻译中文,我很想看到。谢谢!

回复

使用道具 举报

3#
发表于 2008-3-6 10:19:15 | 只看该作者

re:一位成人阿斯博格 (Asperger)...

一位成人阿斯博格 (Asperger) 对同类父母们的忠告  
[ 来源:cautism.com     更新时间:2006-7-13     ]
【字体:     】

首先让我简单介绍一下我的背景以便大家可以准确地知道我的状况 -- 可以做哪些,不可以做哪些。我叫佛兰克,男,现年 30 岁患有阿斯伯格症 (Asperger) (以下简称 AS )。我没有孩子,目前也不打算要孩子。尽管没有身为人父,我还是想对所有 AS 症患者的家长讲讲我的心里话。从我知道有 AS 这个名词起,我对它进行了大量的关注与研究。因为自身条件的优势,我也有机会在网上同许多患友进行了交流。他们中的一些人基本过着正常人的生活,有配偶,有孩子。有些没有(或被认为没有)工作能力,只能依*社会福利生存。我的状况在这两者之间。有工作,但可能是大材小用了。我的工作是一种没有压力,没有责任的工作,闭上一只眼都可以干好。这也是我能使自己避免精神紧张的原因。

像几乎所有我那时的 AS 患者一样,我从来没有被诊断出是一个自闭症类的病童。直到最近,人们都认为自闭症都是一些无法交流,智力低下,一天下来看似没有灵魂的石头那样的人 -- 那是传统的低功能自闭症患者的典型症状。在西方世界直到九十年代初人们还没有意识到 AS 。 AS 的正式命名是在 94 年。所以我的成长过程没有被人们特殊考虑,也没有相关的诊断和治疗。

但自我三年级起我就知道我与别人不一样。从七年级开始我的青春期躁动比其它人都强。我不知道为什么我会比它人更具破坏性……。我真的想对别人好一些,但却做不到。那种被社会排斥的感觉使我的自尊心荡然无存,以至于当我高中毕业时我认为我是个一文不值的废物。往事不堪回首……。其实那正应是同龄青少年在努力适应社会寻找自己位置的时期。然而我却在人生这美好的时期在痛苦和自责中饱受煎熬。尽管我现在仍在试图解决我缺乏自信心和进取心的问题(直至目前,我从来没有过野心),但感谢现代医学的神奇帮助,我最终还是克服了自己的沮丧感。(最起码是不像当初那样烦躁不安了)。也正因为有此经历,我发现一个显而易见,但常被人们忽视的问题:沮丧与挫折感是 AS 病人的最大残疾。

很多 AS 病人说他们无法工作。对于此点我毫不怀疑。我同他们中的每一位都进行过文字交流。他们都曾感到沮丧。这种感觉很真实,很强烈,足以使(确实已经使)被打击的人无法以正常有意义的方式来行为。人们太容易将一切都归因为 AS 症本身而忽视沮丧感在使这些人无法进行正常生活中扮演的重要角色。整个过程是这样的: AS-- 病人的被排斥 -- 失去自尊心 -- 沮丧和挫折感 -- 残疾。如我们能去除沮丧与挫折感这一环节,残疾便可不翼而飞。尽管做起来不容易,但我们必须这样做。并且假如我个人的经历可以做见证的话,那我会说从沮丧感恢复过来的人会觉得他对各种歧视偏见的抵抗力会更强。而这种歧视偏见恰恰是沮丧和挫折感的第一致病因素。现在你会觉得自己更坚强,尽管那曾是一场艰难的旷日持久的斗争,并且其副作用会持续很长一段时间,甚至与你终身相伴。当然如能在一开始就避免偏见会是一个更好的办法。

现在我想对你们说即便对一个已无沮丧困扰的 AS 患者,融入其工作环境也是不容易的。每一个公司都有其自己的理念及游戏规则。而 AS 患者的天性决定其很难适应这种规则。在寻找自己社会定位这个游戏中我们常常是失败者。此外,我们不会与他人搞好关系,总是与他人对我们的期盼相悖。他们总是强调什么“团队精神”而在此方面我们不像那些“正常”人,表现的像个另类。我不得不承认让我们做到这点(团队精神)有困难,并且也少有其它选择。慢慢地我们得以保住自己工作岗位的可能性就越来越小。而这绝不是因为我们是残疾,能力减退或什么无能。而是因为这是“正常”人的世界,他们从自身的角度制定了一些规则。没有人为我们网开一面,因为我们是“另类”。在另一方面,我们是天生的叛逆者,我们有自己的王国。我们不得不对我们想作什么不想作什么采取现实主义态度。

我再对我们产生沮丧的原因作深一层次的分析。当然凡是可能引起正常孩子产生沮丧感的事情对我们 AS 患儿同样起作用。但这并不是全部原因。简而言之,我们之所以沮丧是因为我们觉得自己是一群有缺陷的人……。人们不喜欢我们,觉得我们根本不称职,对我们根本不抱希望。我就是这样想的。多少次我被人们说成是一文不值的垃圾。渐渐地我自己都相信了这种说法。难道我们错了吗?(答案:错了)

就我了解,我自己的经历绝对是我们这些在普通学校的 AS 孩子们的典型遭遇。那是从 7 年级开始的。因为从那时起我们不再是一位老师跟着我们一整天,而是像初中高中那样每 45 分钟换一节课,换一位老师。这就使得那些坏孩子有机会欺负同学,并且他们 99% 地可以得逞并逃脱惩罚。我真希望我可以想出一个容易的方法来避开这种歧视和欺压。但毫无办法。学校的领导们不肯帮助你,哦,当然他们会在口头上讲“我们绝不容忍任何歧视”但一落实到实处时你便会发现这一切只不过是说说而已。鼓励我们这些 AS 的孩子向校领导反映我们所受到的欺辱绝不是一个好主意。因为那些恃强凌弱的坏孩子特别恨打小报告的人。这样做只能使我们的处境更加糟糕。相信我!因为我在那里长大。

我可以提供的唯一建议就是教会你的孩子自卫。不要理睬那些打不还手的规定。在我那时的学校,假如你还手的话,欺负人的孩子和被欺负的孩子会受到同样的责备。我知道如此,并且我遵守纪律。其结果就是我站在那里默默地忍受者拳头,而学校的那些领导们却站在哪里假装什么也没看见。(他们会说“男孩子就是男孩子,他们应该学会如何解决自己的问题”。天啊,当站在哪里任由这些坏孩子毁灭了 AS 孩子的一生时,这些大人们就是这样的想法!)。真抱歉我无法给你们出比这更好的主意。但是一个主流学校就是这样为我们这些各式各样的自闭症孩子保持着这种暴利环境。如果你的孩子弱小,动作不协调,其境遇更糟。因为他无能力自我保护。如果可能的话,让你的孩子在家学习是个好主意,只要你能应付挑战。

回复

使用道具 举报

4#
发表于 2008-5-5 12:07:33 | 只看该作者

re:非常感谢ivyivy 的无私付出。看了以...

非常感谢ivyivy 的无私付出。看了以后,觉得自己似乎已感同身受。沮丧与挫折感来自无成就的社会评价和对自身命运的无法控制,我的童年也曾经历过。真希望儿子不要经历这些,但他正在经历着。我想每个人都不同程度地经历着,当我们还在为创建环境努力时,学习有效的应对规则也许是无耐的选择。不同的人应遵循不同的规则,因人而易,也许是应该教儿子学会自卫的时候了。
回复

使用道具 举报

5#
发表于 2008-5-28 10:04:32 | 只看该作者

re:感谢ivyivy!

感谢ivyivy!
回复

使用道具 举报

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|以琳自闭症论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 16:41